Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Welcome to Miami


Tucked away in Midtown is arguably my favorite Detroit bar. The Old Miami opened in 1979 and pays homage to Vietnam veterans. Today, not a lot has changed. From the moment you walk inside you will quickly realize that this is not your typical bar. To the left of the door is a bar, decorated with military memorabilia. To the right is a lounge area with couches, chairs, and a television. It looks like the living room of a Wayne State frat house. Slightly adjacent to the “living room” is a pool table. As you proceed toward the back the first thing you will notice is a stage and floor area. Now you may be saying to yourself, “Where are the pictures, I want to see!” Well all you get is one. I would love nothing more than to ruin the experience for you but I just can’t bring myself to do it. I’m sorry. You have to go and just see this place for yourself. You will thank me later.

The Old Miami and PJ’s Lager House are two of the best places to see live and local bands. The Old Miami offers everything from punk to prog and everything in between. Don’t misunderstand, this is a rock bar, but we aren’t talking about death metal either. The sound is very good and the crowds are equally fun. The diverse mix includes students, hipsters, vets, business people, and a large number of musicians. It’s this diverse crowd that makes what I like to call “the back yard”, so much fun.

Yes, people you did read that correctly. The Old Miami could have easily installed a nice, gated parking lot. However, that would mean this review would be over and The Old Miami would be just like every other bar in the Cass Corridor. Instead the owners built a gated outdoor space. This isn’t a little area, but rather an extremely large grass area with lawn chairs, tables, and in the summer a full bar. The Old Miami even allows you to bring your own chairs (and hookah if you’re into that sort of thing)!  This feature makes this the best bar I’ve ever been to in the summer. It’s the perfect summer house party, all the time you have a full bar, cool people, live music, and you don’t have to clean up. In the winter and on cool evenings this area features a giant bon fire and chairs. 

The parking can be a little difficult and depending on the night, there may be a cover. Also keep in mind THEY DO NOT HAVE AN ATM. The bar will let you run a tab but if there is a cover you need cash or you will not be allowed inside. If this happens you will have to walk a few blocks to Honest John’s and the neighborhood is mildly sketchy. I know this because it has happened to me. Not a big deal but noteworthy.

Overall, The Old Miami is the type of bar that makes Detroit great. They have an excellent beer selection, fair prices, entertainment, etc. So I would really appreciate it if all of you would please do me a favor. Instead of going to some fist-pumping d-bag bar in Royal Oak, adventure to Detroit and see what a real bar is like.

The Old Miami
3930 Cass Ave
Detroit, MI 48201


Stephen Moore
@advnturedetroit
Adventure Detroit



6 comments:

  1. Haha I love the last sentence! I can not wait to try this bar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts about all the cool things to do in Detroit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means a lot, I'm glad you enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. I love the old Miami! Especially for Dalleybin the Alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree! That and Honest John's are both right there. Also, Elevate Detroit, a great charity hosts a BBQ every Saturday at the corner of Second and Seldon.

    ReplyDelete